Duration: 2 hours
1. Introduction and explanation of handouts:
i. My Account.
ii. E-Forms-Reciprocal Membership, Document Delivery.
iv. Reading List Database.
2. Search for print and ebooks
i. Explain features of SearchAll.
ii. Basic Search- Fixed Fields; Author, Title.
iii. Basic Search – Keyword.
iv. Advanced Search.
v. Boolean Operators.
3. Search for scholarly, peer-reviewed articles
i. Refine search results using limiters.
ii. Refine further using Boolean operators.
iii. Modify searching techniques by using selected specific keywords identified in abstracts, keywords, and subjects from relevant articles.
4. E-Databases, A-Z List of Journals
i. Identify relevant E-databases.
ii. Know different types of e-databases such as Theses, E-Books, Videos, Reference, etc.
ii. Search in these databases using Basic and Advanced Search.
iii. Save / Export search results.
iv. Create alert services.
v. Search by Journal Title or Discipline.
vi. Search within the publication.
iv. Save / Export search results.
5. Internet / Other Sources
i. Search Google Scholar from Search All.
ii. Search Other Databases from widgets in Search All.
iii. Search Sunway Institutional Repository.
II. Learning Outcome
1. Staff will get to know how to request for books, how students access the Reading Lists provided by the academics. They would also get to know other services important to them and their students such as Document Delivery Services, ALLS, and Citation Guides.
2. Staff will learn how to search for books using fixed fields such as Author, Title of Book, Book Chapter. When fixed field details are not known, staff will learn to search based on keywords and Boolean operators.
3. Staff will learn to apply keywords and Boolean operators to extend their search for journal articles.
4. Staff will learn to differentiate SearchAll, E-Databases, and A-Z List of Journals. They would be able to compare and contrast the different features of the e-databases.
5. Staff will be equipped with enough skills to collect information from a variety of sources.
Need further details? Contact Dr. Janaki Sinnasamy at email@example.com